This workshop aims to equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to become a competent Angel Investor. It covers ecosystem brief, portfolio construction, dealflow, evaluation methods and investment process. The trainer is Der Shing – a full time angel with over $5M invested in startup space.
Calling out to all Angel Investors, Entrepreneurs, VCs, fund managers, academics, corporates and anyone else who wish to learn more about Angel Investing in ASEAN:
Discover what it takes to invest in your first startup without having to make your angel investing experience expensive and painful.
Have you ever wanted to know what goes behind the thoughts of an experienced angel investor in Asia, or more on how to go about becoming an effective and competent angel investor? If so, join us for this 4-hour workshop as our trainer, Mr. Lim Der Shing, Partner of AngelCentral, shares with you his strategies and approach to investing in startups. Throughout the session, he would be using live case studies that have been gathered through personal experience over the past couple of years.
Through this interactive and engaging session, you will be equipped with the skills to evaluate a startup, manage your portfolio, and maximize your profitability. The workshop will help you to:
- Manage and construct your portfolio for angel investments. Learn how startups fit into your overall portfolio, allocate your assets to ensure minimum risk with maximum rewards, and set your personal goals for angel investing.
- Gain insights into the lifecycle of a startup, the overall tech startup ecosystem and how angels fit into the space. You will learn about the different stakeholders in a startup ecosystem, the full lifecycle of a startup, and the possible types of investments before exit.
- Generate deal flow. You will learn about the different ways angels can be exposed to startup investment opportunities, including how to position yourself as a credible and useful investor, establish credibility and branding via consistent value-add, building expertise, and engaging with fellow investors to expand your network.
- Evaluate and conduct due diligence on startups. Understand Der Shing’s personal framework for evaluating startups which resulted from years of personal experience and countless refinements over the years. This includes questions to ask when assessing a startup’s solution, founding team, marketing opportunity, and business model.
- Manage expectations and add value post-investment. You will gain a greater clarity on what it is like after making your first investment, the different ways angels can contribute to startups, how to manage and communicate with founders during the post-investment phase, etc.
Your ticket also provides you access to the AngelCentral Community, a group of 350+ angels who are passionate and interested in helping fund startups in the ASEAN region. Here, you will receive exclusive invites to regular pitch days for startup investment opportunities, special offers to other workshops and events, and access to special services designed for angels only. In 2017 alone, AngelCentral has raised >$S3.2M for 14 startups.
“Insightful thoughts from Der Shing and practical advice from the practitioner’s point of view. ” – Jeyson Ng, Assistant Director, Phillip Securities
“An eye-opening, intensive, fast-paced course for the eager angel investor. Exceeded my expectations. I appreciate Der Shing’s frank sharing too.” – Michael Lin, Managing Director, Auston Institute of Management
“Very good course to get the basics in place.” – Abhay Kumar, Regional Vice President
“Practical course. I appreciate Der Shing’s candid views about the lessons and mistakes he made along the way. This is also a great way to network. ” – James Ang, Senior Director, Cloud Computing
About the Trainer
Der Shing is an active Regional Angel Investor in close to 30 startups with over S$5M worth of funding in total. At the same time, Der Shing serves as a Venture Partner at Jungle Ventures and Partner at AngelCentral. In addition, as the Former CEO and founder of JobsCentral Group, Der Shing grew both the profit and revenue over a 14-year period from a 2-man startup into a leading regional job portal with over 150 staff in 3 countries. In 2011, the business was sold to CareerBuilder.
His experience covers all the topics required to start, build, scale and invest in a consumer internet business in South East Asia. He shares some of his insights at his blog. Since 2017, Der Shing has trained >140 angels around the region which has received numerous positive reviews
Saturday, August 18th
9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
#03-01, 79 Ayer Rajah Crescent, Singapore 139955